If you've been reluctant to talk to your friends or your doctor about your heavy periods, you
may not realize how common they are – or that you don't have to accept the limits heavy
periods can put on your lifestyle.
One effective treatment for heavy periods is a global endometrial ablation (GEA) procedure
called Gynecare Thermachoice® Uterine Balloon Therapy System. Gynecare Thermachoice is
an effective, non-hormonal, permanent treatment for heavy periods. It involves a minimally
invasive, eight-minute procedure that can be easily performed by either Dr. Hayes or Dr.
Lane in the Via OB/GYN Office.
A clinical study showed:
- 95% of women treated with Gynecare Thermachoice reported normal to no periods up to five years later
- Three out of four women treated had reduction of menstrual pain and cramping
- Nearly two out of three experienced either mild or no PMS symptoms after treatment
- 93% reported they were still satisfied with the results five years after treatment
How does Gynecare Thermachoice work?
Gynecare Thermachoice uses a method called global endometrial ablation (GEA) to remove the endometrium, the lining of the uterus by:
- A small, soft, flexible balloon attached to a thin catheter (tube) is first passed through the vagina and cervix, and then placed gently into the uterus. No incision is required. The balloon is made of silicone material, eliminating the risk of allergy for latex-sensitive women.
- The balloon is then filled with fluid so that it inflates to the unique
contours of the uterus.
- The fluid is gently heated and circulated in the uterus for eight minutes while the lining of the uterus is treated.
- When the treatment is completed, all the fluid is withdrawn from the balloon and the catheter is removed. Nothing remains in the uterus. The treated uterine lining will shed, like during a period, over the next seven
to ten days.
In most cases, patients can resume normal activities the next day. To learn more about this procedure, please visit the Gynecare Thermachoice Website or contact us to make an appointment. Remember you don't have to live with heavy periods.
Gynecare Thermachoice is registered by ETHICON Women's Health & Urology, a division of ETHICON, INC., a Johnson & Johnson Company